Loeb Teaching Fellowship
The Carol B. and Jerome T. Loeb Teaching Fellows program provides fellows the opportunity to implement ideas that augment the education of medical students and residents. The voluntary clinical faculty of Barnes-Jewish Hospital and the clinical and/or investigator-track faculty at Washington University School of Medicine are eligible to apply.
Initiated in 2004 with a gift from Carol and Jerome Loeb and supported by The Foundation for Barnes-Jewish Hospital, the program was established to advance clinical education at Washington University School of Medicine by honoring faculty committed to clinical excellence and education, and encouraging teaching that excellence to residents and students.
Process and selection criteria
Loeb teaching fellows will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Loeb Teaching Fellows shall meet new or unmet clinical teaching needs for residents and/or students.
- A demonstration of innovative teaching methodologies or programmatic development is desirable.
- Loeb Teaching Fellows shall invest time both in direct teaching of medical students and/or residents and in program/curriculum development. Direct teaching should be a substantial portion of designated Loeb Fellowship time.
- Particular consideration will be given to those candidates who include a plan for project sustainability following completion of their Loeb Fellowship term.
- Faculty members who already have a substantial teaching commitment (clerkship directors, program directors, etc.) shall describe plans to improve or expand their current educational activities.
The Loeb Teaching Fellows Selection Committee reviews all proposals and selects two fellows, who are announced school-wide.
Application submission dates: Spring 2021
Submit an application »
Appointed by the School of Medicine dean in consultation with the Barnes-Jewish Hospital chief medical officer, the selection committee includes representatives from the hospital’s and the medical school’s full-time and voluntary clinical faculty, resident and clerkship teachers, the senior associate dean for education, and the associate dean for medical student education.
The 2020 Loeb Teaching Fellows Selection Committee is:
- Eva Aagaard, MD (co-chair)
- Mary Klingensmith, MD (co-chair)
- Kari Allen, PhD
- Michael Brunt, MD
- Erika Crouch, MD, PhD
- Thomas De Fer, MD
- Krikor Dikranian, MD, PhD
- Katherine Henderson, MD
- Randall Jotte, MD
- Brendan O’Connor, MD
- Andrew White, MD