Foundations in Teaching Skills Program
The Foundations in Teaching Skills (FITS) Certificate Program targets junior educators (approximately 1-5 years out of training) as well as faculty who are newly incorporating teaching excellence into their careers. This certificate program will span from October to June each academic year. The FITS program will focus on providing instruction in foundational teaching skills, establishing a community of educators with each program cohort, and beginning the process of producing one’s educator portfolio. Over the course of the academic year, participants will receive mentorship as well as feedback on their teaching skills through direct observations. Additional instruction in teaching skills will be provided with monthly workshops.
Participants will meet monthly (4-6pm; 3rd Tuesday of each month from October-June) for didactics, workshops, and discussions. Attendance is required.
Participants will also work independently on creating a Clinical Educator Portfolio and will meet with a mentor to review progress.
Participants will be directly observed in teaching environments, throughout the academic year, and will be expected to turn in the direct observation forms and reflections.
Targeted participants are faculty members particularly those at an entry or junior level approximately 1-5 years out of their residency or fellowship training. Final year fellows who are highly interested in pursuing a career focused on education are also welcome to apply. Those fellows completing training must be able to make a commitment to the full program which will begin in October, 2021 and conclude in June, 2022. In addition, those who are newly entering or reengaging into teaching as a career are also encouraged to apply. Entrance into the program will be through an application process with an acceptance of approximately 25 individuals per program year.
If you are interested in applying, please hold the following dates on your calendar for didactics pending application review: Oct 19, Nov 16, Dec 21, Jan 18, Feb 15, March 15, April 19, May 17, June 21.
In order to complete your application, you must submit the following materials in your application:
- Brief statement of interest in the FITS Certificate program (do not exceed one page). In your statement:
- Please address your area of teaching focus (classroom based, clinical, or other) for the FITS certificate
- Your personal goals for the program (2 specific goals for the program; a goal can include a specific education based project in which you would like to focus), and
- Your plans regarding how the program will benefit you and your program/ Division
- Description of your current teaching activities. Include the level of learners taught, topics of teaching and number of hours per week teaching.
- Current CV
- Letter of support from an individual in a leadership position in your Division or Department. (e.g., Division head, Department Chair or Dean of Curriculum or Faculty Affairs). This letter should include:
- the rationale for the applicant’s participation
- an agreement to provide protected time for this activity which will include the mandatory attendance at monthly didactic conferences.
Director: Dominique Cosco, MD
Submission Deadline: Friday, September 24th
Eligibility: FITS Certificate Program targets junior educators (approximately 1-5 years out of training) as well as faculty who are newly incorporating teaching excellence into their careers.
Program Term: October 2021 – June 2022
Questions: Contact Melody Cox at email@example.com