Foundations in Teaching Skills Program
The Foundations in Teaching Skills (FITS) Certificate Program targets junior educators (approximately 1-5 years out of training) as well as faculty who are newly incorporating teaching excellence into their careers. This certificate program will span from September-May, each academic year and starts with a retreat that will focus on providing instruction in foundational teaching skills, establishing a community of educators with each program cohort, and beginning the process of producing one’s educator portfolio. Over the course of the academic year, participants will receive mentorship as well as feedback on their teaching skills through 5 observations (standardize). Additional instruction in teaching skills will be provided with monthly workshops. A celebratory event including presentation of the certificates will occur in the late Spring.
Participants will meet monthly (4-6pm; 2nd Tuesday of each month from October-June) for didactics, workshops, and discussions. Attendance is required.
Participants will also work independently on creating a Clinical Educator Portfolio and will meet with a mentor to review progress.
Participants will be directly observed in teaching environments, 5 times throughout the academic year, and will be expected to turn in the direct observation forms and reflections. Two of the direct observations will be completed by Academy members and the other observations can be from colleagues and learners.
Targeted participants are faculty members particularly those at an entry or junior level approximately 1-5 years out of their residency or fellowship training. Final year fellows who are highly interested in pursuing a career focused on education are also welcome to apply. Those fellows completing training must be able to make a commitment to the full program which will begin in October, 2019 and conclude in June, 2020. In addition, those who are newly entering or reengaging into teaching as a career are also encouraged to apply. Entrance into the program will be through an application process with an acceptance of approximately 25 individuals per program year.
If you are interested in applying, please hold the following dates on your calendar for didactics pending application review: Oct 8, Nov 12, Dec 10, Jan 14, Feb 11, March 10, April 14, May 12, June 9.
In order to complete your application, you must submit the following materials in your application:
- Brief statement of interest in the FITS Certificate program (do not exceed one page). In your statement:
- Please address your area of teaching focus (classroom based, clinical, or other) for the FITS certificate
- Your personal goals for the program (2 specific goals for the program; a goal can include a specific education based project in which you would like to focus), and
- Your plans regarding how the program will benefit you and your program/ Division
- Description of your current teaching activities. Include the level of learners taught, topics of teaching and number of hours per week teaching.
- Current CV
- Letter of support from an individual in a leadership position in your Division or Department. (e.g., Division head, Department Chair or Dean of Curriculum or Faculty Affairs). This letter should include:
- the rationale for the applicant’s participation
- an agreement to provide protected time for this activity which will include the mandatory attendance at monthly didactic conferences.
Director: Dominique Cosco, MD
Submission Deadline: Friday, August 30th
Eligibility: FITS Certificate Program targets junior educators (approximately 1-5 years out of training) as well as faculty who are newly incorporating teaching excellence into their careers.
Program Term: October 2019 – June 2020
Questions: Contact Melody Cox at 314-273-7796 or email@example.com