The mission of Washington University School of Medicine is to lead in advancing human health through the best clinical care, innovative research and the education of tomorrow’s leaders in biomedicine in a culture that supports diversity, inclusion, critical thinking and creativity.
The Office of Education supports the medical school’s teaching mission.
We are advancing human health as a diverse and inclusive community inspiring learners to create the future in medicine, science and society.
Our role and services
We support medical education at every level, from undergraduate through professional, in the following key areas:
- Educational resources: The Office of Education serves as the umbrella office for major teaching resources that are shared across medical education programs, including the Farrell Learning and Teaching Center (FLTC), the Simulation Center and the Standardized Patient Program. These three efforts are well established.
- Consulting resources: The office also includes a number of experts who serve as shared resources for the education programs throughout the school. This group includes individuals with expertise in project management, curriculum development and assessment, educational outcomes, education research and faculty development.
- Education scholarship: Faculty throughout the school have indicated growing interest for a career as a Clinician Educator. Such educators are typically junior faculty with creative ideas for curricular innovation but without expertise for the relevant scholarship.
In addition to the roles described above, the Senior Associate Dean for Education is responsible for the following:
- Convened an all-programs Student Advisory Council for an Inclusive Community (SACIC)
- Co-chairs the Academic Affairs Committee (AAC) task force on supporting faculty education efforts
- Co-chairs the senior leadership committee on Diversity (convened and chaired by Larry Shapiro)
- Oversees the newly required ongoing Continuous Quality Improvement for the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)